What is the importance of clauses in IELTS?
Grammatical Range and Accuracy is 25% of your band score in IELTS, whether it’s IELTS Writing Task 1, IELTS Writing Task 2 or IELTS Speaking. If you want to get a high band, you need to demonstrate a range of grammar, and that too correctly used.
One of the ways to show your grammatical range and accuracy in IELTS Writing & Speaking is through inclusion of different types of clauses.
What is a clause?
A clause is a group of words including both a subject and a predicate.
- Globalisation has led to the growth of industries across the world. Subject – Globalisation Predicate – has led to the growth of industries across the world
- I look forward to hearing from you. Subject – I Predicate – look forward to hearing from you
It is a clause that gives us a sentence.
Clauses are of two types – independent and dependent.
What are Independent Clauses?
The independent clauses do not require any support to complete the sense of the sentence.
- Ecological balance is necessary for survival on this planet.
- The endangered species should be saved at any cost.
The sentences given above do not need anything else to complete them but each of them has only one predicate. Hence they are examples of Simple sentences.
Simple Sentences with correlative conjunctions.
Not only………but also
- Physical exercise not only strengthens our muscles, joints and bones but also gives us flexibility.
- She is not only beautiful but also smart.
- Neither the government nor the people are able to prognosticate any terror activities.
However, to get a good Band score in the IELTS essays, you should have Compound and Complex sentences in your writing task paragraphs.
How do you structure Compound sentences?
You join independent clauses with the help of coordinating conjunctions – FOR, AND, NOR, BUT, OR, YET, SO
When you join two independent clauses using a conjunction, you get a Compound sentence. Without a conjunction, you put semicolon mark (;) to connect them. However, when you use the conjunction and the subjects are different, you should place a comma before the conjunction.
- Ecological balance is necessary for survival on this planet, and the endangered species should be saved at any cost.
- Ecological balance is necessary for survival on this planet; the endangered species should be saved at any cost.
- Online products can be meretricious, yet many people get lured by them and end up buying from a plethora of e-commerce websites.
- Walking is an excellent exercise, but for some it is just a way to kill time.
- Technology does not give us privacy, nor does it allow us to be creative.
How do you structure Complex sentences?
When you include a dependent clause in a sentence, it becomes a Complex sentence.
What are dependent clauses?
As mentioned earlier, these clauses need support of the independent clauses.
They can be:
- That literates are governed by illiterates is a painful truth of our society.
- Some believe that technology will soon make the teachers redundant.
- Nobody knows where he is.
- What used to be a dream earlier has now become a reality.
- The problem of ebola virus , which could have been controlled in its incipient stage, has now become a pandemic.
- Those children, who are street smart, are able to handle peer pressure.
- We can reduce unemployment if we engage in more skill- based training programmes.
- If we engage in more skill- based training programmes, we can reduce unemployment.
- Unemployment would not have become such a big problem if it had been handled at its nascent stage.
- Children would become more confident if they got more exposure to the world.
- Children would become more confident if they were allowed to learn from their mistakes.
- Unless you make a mistake, you will never learn.
- Although I love shopping, I did not accompany my friends to the mall.
By learning what are clauses and how they can greatly improve your IELTS grammar score for both speaking and writing, you can achieve success. The key to success is practise. Take practise tests and improve your score. Enroll into a comprehensive online course to prepare for IELTS.